|Code number||Field of studies||Program title|
|06.04.01||Biology||Biodiversity in a Changing World|
Credits: 120 ECTS.
Language of instruction: English.
Entry requirements: Bachelor’s degree, certificate of English proficiency (B2 level or higher). Final admission is decided upon an interview.
Head of the program: Alexander Paukov, PhD in Biology, Associate Professor.
Program goal: Studying biodiversity and the means of its conservation by the example of the Ural region located at the border between Europe and Asia studying the use of biological resources in innovative bio- and pharmaceutical technologies.
• Biodiversity ‒ from molecular genetics to population and coenosis level (morphological and molecular genetics identification of objects, their anatomical and morphological, physiological and biochemical and population characteristics);
• Biodiversity of plants, fungi and animals of the Urals;
• The processes and results of introgressive hybridization;
• Relicts and endemic species – living witnesses of past epochs;
• Adventitious species: a threat to native (autochthonous) biodiversity or its completion?
• Biodiversity in a changing climate and human impact;
• Ural region as an area for studies of biodiversity on the border of natural ecosystems (altitudinal and latitudinal gradients, eastern-western slopes, lakes and rivers, swamps and meadows, coniferous and deciduous forests, steppes and tundra).
Final examination: Master’s thesis defense.
• Several platforms for studying biodiversity: Biological station, Botanical gardens, expeditions, University laboratories;
• Field trips and expeditions;
• Unique opportunities for studying different types of natural communities in different climatic zones within one region.
Career opportunities: program graduates are qualified to start career in research and project institutions working in the fields of biology and ecology, as well as environmental services.
Price (RUB, per year):
• Non-FSU citizens: 255 200 (182 900 — for applicants who earn 40 and more points at the entrance test)*
• FSU citizens: 221 100 (158 500 — for applicants who earn 40 and more points at the entrance test)*
*FSU: Former Soviet Union. Includes Abkhazia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.